Friday, March 1, 2013

Season 1; Episode 2 – Crocodile



There’s not as much meat in this episode’s blog – sorry about that.  A lot of these early episodes are “setting us up” for something down the line and since we ALL know what comes down the line, regurgitating every single event that happens seems like a pointless blog to me – that’s been done and I want to do something different, so you’ll only find my observations, things I found annoying or amusing and things that I didn’t realize in my first viewing (you know, those AH HA moments that we say “why didn’t I notice that the first time???”).  And of course, the big things that play a part later or play a part in shaping the series.

I love Dexter’s court appearance in this episode … “2,103 cases,” and the lawyer says “give or take”.  Dexter: “no, 2,103”.  Call me crazy but I kind of really like the Rain Man aspect of his personality in Season 1.  And of course, he uses his presence in court as an excuse to check on his next possible victim, a drunk driver named Matt Chambers, who happens to be on trial.

I realized I didn’t even mention Batista in the first blog … I still don’t have much to say about him … he’s just … there.  I don’t dislike him … I find it amusing that he so obviously dislikes LaGuerta in Season 1.

Ricky Simmons, the cop that was pushed off the causeway and his wife Karen are the police case of this episode … Doakes gets really worked up about this one.  Of course, that’s because he was screwing Rick Simmons’ wife … really, really inappropriate.

We meet the Captain, Tom Matthews in this episode.  He was a friend of Harry’s … supportive of Dexter and Deb – that will come in handy later.

For someone who was not interested in sex at all just last episode Rita is certainly getting frisky … of course, at the end of the episode she says she’s not ready and Dex gives that perfect boyfriend answer “If it’s not right for both of us it won’t be right for either of us” … THAT might be the BEST answer to that problem I have ever heard – if you ask me Dex makes an awesome boyfriend!!  He even brings Rita a pimp car from the impound yard … how romantic can you get??

Deb finds the ice truck, and LaGuerta, bitch that she is, reams her for it.  However, by the end of the episode Captain Matthews moves her from Vice to Homicide.  Of course, LaGuerta will find a way to screw Deb over … again and again and again.

I wonder why Dex never questions why the Ice Truck Killer would choose HIM to play with.  I’m guessing his assumption is that he chose him because Dexter followed the ice truck, but it seems to me that a serial killer who kills other serial killers might get a little nervous by the attention.

They eat a lot in this show … it makes me hungry.

As a side note, I really need to learn Spanish … it annoys me that I have no idea what they’re saying when they speak Spanish.

Dexter's Body Count:
Matt Chambers (aka Matt Brewster and Matt Rasmussen) - Drunken Hit and Run Driver – Killed with Power Drill

Quotes of the Episode:
You must have been a motherfucka at Cat’s Cradle.

If God is in the details and I believed in God then he’s in this room with me.  I just wish he’d brought an extension cord.

I can kill a man, dismember him and be home before Letterman but knowing what to say when my girlfriend is feeling insecure … I’m at a loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments and views.